- It is said to be built on seven hills, like Rome.
- Bound by ancient city walls, its credited with inventing the skyscraper in the 17th century.
- David Hume, Adam Smith, James Hutton, James Boswell and Sir Walter Scott were 18th century residents, leading Tobias Smollett in The Expedition of Humphry Clinker to describe the city as a ‘hotbed of genius’.
- It hosts the largest annual international arts festival in the world.
- It has more listed buildings , relative to area, than any other UK city.
- The company behind the computer game Grand Theft Auto is based here.
- It has two volcanoes.
- It is twinned with Kathmandu.
- JK Rowling began writing her first Harry Potter book here, in a coffee shop.
- It’s the birthplace of Ronnie Corbett, Gail Porter, Finlay Quaye and Tony Blair.
Where are we…..
Welcome to Edinburgh!