1. Daniel Defoe described this city as the “cleanest and beautifullest, and best built city in Britain, London excepted”.
2. It is one of the top 10 tourist cities in Europe, and was European City of Culture in 1990
3. Its patron saint is Mungo, and Mungo’s Bell is still on display in the local People’s Palace Museum.
4. Its second River is also the name of a scientific unit of temperature
5. In 2013 it was the most vegan-friendly city in the UK according to PETA
6. Lives venues include The Garage, The Barrowland, The Cathouse, and King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut (where Oasis were first spotted and signed).
7. Among other bands it’s home to Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian, Mark Knopfler, Del Amitri, Primal Scream, Mogwai, Franz Ferdinand, Deacon Blue, and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.
8. The Quiz Eggheads is filmed here
9. The world’s first international football match took place here
10. It is twinned with Bethlehem
Did you guess it …. It was Glasgow of course! If you are now all excited to visit this Scottish city you can go on our Glasgow City Break from as little as £109.95 pp.
Visit our Top Ten things to do when in Glasgow!